View count: 1735


The following information on visas is for reference only.

Q1: How to apply for a visa? What type of visas should I apply for?
A1: Students should apply and present the admission letter to the nearest ROC embassy, consulate, or representative agency for a visitor visa. Admission letters are only valid for the term applied for. Be sure to apply for a visitor visa specifying study at the CLIC (visa code: FR.)

Q2: How long can I stay on a visitor visa?
A2: Usually, FR visas allow holders to remain in Taiwan for 60 or 90 days. Extendable visas may be extended for a maximum stay of up to 180 days. If visas are non-extendable or when no further extensions are granted, the holders must leave Taiwan to obtain a new visa.

Q3: My country is on the list of 30-days visa exempt countries. Can I come to study without applying for a visa?
A3: As a 30-day visa-exempt entry is not extendable, students must leave Taiwan to apply for a new visa from abroad after the visa exemption period expires. For students’ convenience, we do not recommend students to come to Taiwan on 30-day visa-exempt entry if the class lasts over 30 days.

Q4: My visa will EXPIRE just a few days before the last day of class. Can I still extend my visa to complete my study?
A4: If the expiration date is not far away from the last day of class, students may apply for an extension for a short grace period (usually no more than 10 days) so they can complete their study and leave Taiwan without applying for a new visa. However, please note that only the Immigration Agency holds the authority to grant/deny extensions.

Q5: I want to study for three terms or longer. How can I stay longer without having to leave the country?
A5: Students who have studied for 4 months consecutively and have never left Taiwan during the period can apply for a resident visa if they wish to study for three terms or more. With a resident visa, they may apply for an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC). Please note that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs sometimes requires a guarantor before a resident visa can be issued.

Q6: I already studied Chinese in Taiwan for 2 years. If I want to continue studying, can I extend my ARC?
A6: ARCs for language studies can only be extended for up to 2 years. After the period of stay reaches 2 years, you need to leave the country, and re-apply for another visitor visa for language studies with the documents issued by the language center and other required documents. Whether your visa application is approved is at the discretion of the Taiwan consulates.

Q7: Can I take a part-time job if I stay in Taiwan on a visa for language studies?
A7: Students who have studied in a language center for one year and have an ARC can apply for a part-time work permit. Foreigners who don't have a work permit cannot work in Taiwan. To apply for a work permit, students must go to office to apply for approval to apply for a work permit. After obtaining the approval, submit your application to the Bureau of Employment and Vocational Training. Working hours for part-time work permit holders cannot exceed 16 hours per week.